[H-GEN] Setting up a MythTV box

Sandra Mansell fakungabubu at internode.on.net
Sun Oct 31 19:53:35 EST 2004

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 10:24:01AM +1000, David Jericho wrote:
> Remember to consider drive noise. Paul Gearon recommended a Samsung
> recently as it was whisper quiet with none of the typical high pitched
> whine. Take careful pick of your CPU cooler and other fans, and also
> with your DVD drive. Consider a two fan power supply combo, as they tend
> to be quieter.

If you've got it hooked up to a digital receiver (or amplifier) as we
have with our 'tv box' the sound coming from it doesn't really matter
all that much. Ours is just an old celeron 466 with a PCI Radeon 7000
(dual head with tv-out, tho the dual head is somewhat useless when it's
hooked up to a tv all the time). Obviously it's not powerful enough for
encoding so it just streams stuff from other computers on the network,
but it quite nicely runs an analogue tv capture card when required. The
only time you can notice any sound coming from it is when there's no
other noise in the lounge room, and it doesn't have a very quiet fan
either.

> Or just look at the fan less VIA Eden combos, low power so soft on the
> power bill when the unit is left on 24/7.

We leave our unit on 24/7 and haven't noticed any nasty increases in the
electricity bill.... But then it probably sucks the least amount of
power of all the computers in the household :-) We looked into getting a
VIA Eden but the extra cost wasn't worth it at the time. Our Celeron is
getting rather dated however, and if the new Edens come with optical out
sound we may consider finding the cash after hubby pays his tax bill.

Sandra.
--
http://www.users.on.net/ickus/
JabberID: silne at jabber.org.au
"Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head."
  -- Green shirt Crichton, "Thanks For Sharing"
	-- Farscape season 3 episode 7