[H-GEN] Useful not so obvious tips

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Wed Oct 27 23:28:28 EDT 2004

On 2004-10-28, Russell Stuart wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 11:10, Raymond Smith wrote:
> > I'm curious, what is the advantage of less $(cmd) over
> > less `cmd` ?
>
> It nests.  For example, this works:
>
>   grep some-string $(grep -l other-string $(find . some-condition)))

There are too many parentheses in that example, but let's
pretend that it's correct.  Backticks nest too:

    grep some-string `grep -l other-string \`find . some-condition\``

I'm not going to pretend that that's pretty, or in any way
preferable to the $() variation; but it's best not to get the
details wrong.

Cheers, Greg