[H-GEN] Useful not so obvious tips

Harry Phillips harry at tux.com.au
Mon Oct 25 10:39:07 EDT 2004

Anthony Irwin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using linux systems for a while now. Since early 2000 when the
> media hype was going on. Anyway I have realised that even though I've
> been using linux as my only home operating system for a number of years
> and manage 3 small linux servers at work I tend to do the same old
> things and every now and then I happen to see people do small things
> differently that seem so much more effective.

My tip not so related to command line is to setup your own IMAP server,
even if you only have a Workstation.

Get fetchmail to collect the mail and I use CourierIMAP to make it
available. That way if you decide to change mail clients you don't need
to export/import the mail and mark it read etc.

You can try different mail clients until you settle or get sick of your
current one.

--
Regards,
Harry Phillips