[H-GEN] Useful not so obvious tips

Anthony Irwin irwa82 at froggy.com.au
Mon Oct 25 02:45:42 EDT 2004

Sandra Mansell wrote:

> Actually I was chatting with my husband the other night about how
> computers are more accessible and the average person still can't
> accomplish anything meaningful without assistance. It sprung from
> helping a friend's husband download FireFox, and the first thing I was
> asked after he had the file was "Do I copy this to Program Files now?"
> Unfortunately even if he'd been using a *nix variant he probably would
> have still asked a similar problem "where do I put it?" instead of
> realising that the file would run him through an installer.

I think a large part of the problem is that people want to use computers
without leaning anything about them. A computer is really much more
complicated then say driving a car yet no one would expect to be able to
drive one without learning how to operate it correctly.

I know a number of people who think their documents have been deleted or
killed by a virus if it drops off the recent documents menu. They don't
have a clue about files being saved onto the computer in a directory
path that they can browse to to find the file again.

--
Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin