[H-GEN] Useful not so obvious tips

Sandra Mansell fakungabubu at internode.on.net
Mon Oct 25 02:13:26 EDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 03:46:37PM +1000, Stephen Thorne wrote:
> Windows cmd.exe also does tab-completion and up-arrow for previous
> commands. This was a refreshing change from the hell I usually
> experience when forced to do DOS stuff.

It's only Windows XP that supports this out of the box, but it's
possible to edit the registry to give the same functionality to Windows
2000 as well. I had to do it on my work machine to keep myself sane with
all the DOS hacking one of my previous jobs required.

> Its kinda nice when you discover that Microsoft is only 10 years
> behind on usable interfaces. :)

Actually I was chatting with my husband the other night about how
computers are more accessible and the average person still can't
accomplish anything meaningful without assistance. It sprung from
helping a friend's husband download FireFox, and the first thing I was
asked after he had the file was "Do I copy this to Program Files now?"
Unfortunately even if he'd been using a *nix variant he probably would
have still asked a similar problem "where do I put it?" instead of
realising that the file would run him through an installer.

Sandra.
--
http://www.users.on.net/ickus/
JabberID: silne at jabber.org.au
"Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head."
  -- Green shirt Crichton, "Thanks For Sharing"
	-- Farscape season 3 episode 7