[H-GEN] Useful not so obvious tips

Robert Brockway rbrockway at opentrend.net
Mon Oct 25 00:57:44 EDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Anthony Irwin wrote:

> -* You can press the tab key for text completion when typing in a shell.
>
> -* You can press the up arrow key to see previously used commands in a
> shell.

For the records both of these are shell specific.  Bashm Zsh and tcsh
will do both of these.  Tcsh was the first Unix shell with these
features I believe.  It got at least some of its bells and
whistles from _Tenex_.

Ksh and Csh use ESC for command completion I believe.

> I guess other things could be interesting ways of using multiple
> commands together to get different results. I have heard of xset but
> don't know anything about it.

xset the X command?

I use this:

# Speed up the mouse - default proved too slow on large monitors
xset m 4

> I know this may seem like a silly idea to people who have been using
> unix for years and done anything and everything with it but if you only

I've been using Unix since 1992 and I'm still learning new shell
tricks/capabilities.

My favourite tip (again, shell specific) is to use "cd -" to take me to my
OLDPWD (old present working directory), ie where I was before the PWD
(present working directory).

Use real xterms?  Have a fun title bar:

export PS1='\[\033]2;\H:\l (\d \t)\007\[\033[36m\]\h:\w\$\[\033[m\]'

Cheers,
	Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.