[H-GEN] USB ISDN modems

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Wed Nov 24 04:57:36 EST 2004

Hi:

Thanks to those who wrote back regarding wireless NICs.  I may not end up
having the time or money to make good use of it, but I will in the future
if I don't right now.

I'm actually going to South Africa to provide audio streaming for the 6th
general assembly of the World Blind Union.  It's going to be a big deal.
Anyway, ISDN seems to be a big deal over there as far as I can gather, and
we've been told we're going to have an ISDN line with a modem-type device
with a USB connection.  Since there are two of us and we'd like to hook
both of our laptops in, it seemed most sensible to get Linux happening on
mine and to use it as a router to provide access for the other guy.

My main concern is what I need to do linux-side to make it work.  There's
scant mention of ISDN devices in the kernel USB documentation, and
scant mention of USB in the ISDN stuff.  I'dve thought that such a device
would simply appear as a modem to Linux, but maybe I'm wrong on this.

I'm attempting to get the make and model of the ISDN device so I have some
idea whether this thing is going to fly or not.  But in the meantime, I
thought I'd ask the collective whisdom here if anyone's dealt with such
devices and if there is anything particular I should know about them.

Thanks,
Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <geoff at hitsandpieces.net>
Phone: +61-418-96-5590
MSN: geoff at acbradio.org

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html