[H-GEN] Setup for 2 soundcards

David Jericho davidj at tucanatech.com
Wed Nov 3 18:01:11 EST 2004

David wrote:

> I have a MSI 7200 motherboard with a AC97 sound module on board...this
> is disabled at present..
> for sound i use a Vibra 128 PCI soundcard as this works well with the
> amateur radio digital modes.....
> have been thinking of have 2 sound systems ...the AC97 for playing
> system sounds,audio cd's etc  and keeping the Vibra 128 for the
> amateur radio applications....the Vibra is configured for /dev/dsp
> with a link to /dev/audio......i would like to keep this as the ham
> programs are usually setup for this....
> can anyone help me with details of how to setup the 2 sound systems.

Personally, I'd investigate using ALSA instead of OSS. ALSA will provide
/dev/dsp and friends for you, but also provide a more modern API for
programs to use. Setting up two sound cards using ALSA is absolutely no
problem.

Failing that, you can still do the above with OSS. You'll just end up
with /dev/dsp (usually symlinked to /dev/dsp0) and /dev/dsp1, along with
the rest of the device files. You then just have to inform each
application you use which device to use.

--
David Jericho
Senior Systems Administrator, Tucana Technologies