[H-GEN] Mailing List

Paul Gearon pag at tucanatech.com
Thu May 27 22:13:58 EDT 2004

Nikolai Lusan wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 23:32, James Mills wrote:
>>Why ? This practise is considered standard amongst many Mailing Lists I
>>come across...
>
> And other practices are considered standard amongst other lists. There
> are hundreds of email lists that people here are memebers of and the
> idea of what is "standard" varies from one person to the next.

Perhaps, but of the 12 others I'm on (plus others I've been on in the past),
none of them are like this.  Most of my lists are programming or computer
security related though, so that biases my opinion a bit.

I believe that the reason that all of these lists use the Reply-To set to the
list is so the majority of MUAs will work well with them.  That seems
reasonable to me.

>>I would like to see this investigated again please.
>
> Rather than go through all that pain again how about you look at list
> archive. http://archive.humbug.org.au/humbug-general

Yeah, but I didn't agree then either.

>>>I am interested in the mailer that you choose to use however, most
>>>mailers these days can do a "reply to list" from a keyboard shortcut.
>>
>>I use mutt. Mutt has a 'r' (Reply) and a 'g' (Reply to Group), I have
>>not heard of a (Reply to List) function... Perhaps you can enlighten me!
>
> I understand from other mutt users that there is none, but that does not
> represent the majority of MUA's out there. I am using evolution at the
> moment and it does to a reply to list via ctrl-l, my prefered mailer
> pine however does not and I have to live with that choice.

I use Mozilla (mostly for the Bayesian spam filter).  I also use IMAP so I can
easily access and manage my mail from home or work, and I can't use procmail
on that server even if I wanted to.  I can "Reply to all", but you'll get my
messages twice.  Any other suggestions?

Rob's procmail rules provide a "fixup" for headers.  For me, this implies that
they were broken in the first place.

OTOH, this peculiarity of the HUMBUG lists doesn't kill me.  It's just an
annoying inconvenience.

--
Regards,
Paul Gearon

Software Engineer                Telephone:   +61 7 3876 2188
Tucana Technologies              Fax:         +61 7 3876 4899
                                  http://www.tucanatech.com

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")