[H-GEN] Squid proxy

Tony Melia tony.melia at tmitc.com.au
Tue May 18 19:46:44 EDT 2004

I have found that squid will not properly cache any windows update files,
mainly due to the fact that Microsoft use your registration number when
downloading the file, so for example instead of downloading (excuse fake
names) http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/update.exe it downloads
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/?ID=AE678543?update.exe which squid
detects as a unique URL.  The only way I have been able to cache updates is
by using Microsofts Software Update Service on a win2k server.

Regards,

Tony Melia
Systems Engineer/Director
TM IT Consultancy Pty Ltd
tony.melia at tmitc.com.au
Phone: 0407 173352
better IT Solution! Network Consultancy - Thin Client Computing - Network
Design - Disaster Recovery - Web Design - Communications - Internet enabling
your business