[H-GEN] Squid proxy

Harry Phillips harry at tux.com.au
Tue May 18 19:06:50 EDT 2004

I have a question about Squid. I have setup my server to do transparent
proxying with a prerouting iptables rule that redirects requests on port
80 to port 3128.

All is working fine, if I turn off squid no-one can access any web pages.

My question is why do I have to download the Windows updates again and
again, Squid does not seem to cache them. I checked /var/spool/squid and
it only has ~50M in there. The partition /var has 2.1G space free and I
have set squid to use 1G as cache.

Does MS somehow specify that the objects are not to be cached? It is
very annoying because I setup various versions of Windows for my clients
and then update them. It is easier for Win98, I use a ghost image. You
can't do that with XP though. I then have to download the entire Windows
update *again* on my piddly little 56k modem.

I just added an iptables rule to preroute port 21 to squid as well so
ftp transfers are cached too.

--
Regards,
Harry Phillips