[H-GEN] web based email systems

stephen at thorne.id.au stephen at thorne.id.au
Sun May 16 06:17:41 EDT 2004

On Sun, 16 May 2004 19:55:52 +1000, R&J Stuart <rjstuart at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> I'm interested in hearing what people use for web based email.  Some
> examples I have come across are:
> - openwebmail
> - Horde Imp
> - Squirrelmail
>
> Any other web mail systems I should be looking at?

I just started using Quotient, which is an open-source python based webmail app being developed by a company in the US. I'm actually paying (5 USD/mo) for the (alpha-) service (hosted on divmod.com , the project is hosted at divmod.org ). Be aware its still in development at the moment, and they only just started deploying it to 'customers'. You're free to download and run it on your own server (LGPL I think).

> My preferences are for this are (in no particular order):
> - must be able talk IMAP, POP3 is nice
Yep, in both directions (it can check your pop3/imap, as well as using it as a server).

> - nice if it could do filtering (spam, but not essential)
Postini and spambayes for spam protection, also will filter all list emails into their own folders automagically.

> - must be able to view headers / raw email
Yep.

> - must be able to deal with attachments (including sending of)
Yep.

Stephen.