[H-GEN] streaming audio splitter/proxy/reflector

Peter Arnold arnoldpj at optushome.com.au
Wed Mar 17 21:15:34 EST 2004

Can anyone point me in the right direction on this? I'm trying to give
multiple users inside a private network access to an external streaming
media source *BUT* I only want to draw in one stream then stream that out
to multiple users inside the network. The reason for doing this is to
economise on bandwidth. The clients use M$ Media player on W2k, the access
to the internet is through squid on RH linux.

The site in question is http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/Broadcast which
after some convolutions takes you to the actual stream URL of
http://203.147.162.145/Parliament.asx . The contents of this (curiously
it's a file) is:
# cat 203.147.162.145/Parliament.asx
<Asx Version = "3.0" >
<Param Name = "Name" Value = "Queensland Parliamentary Proceedings" />
<Entry>
<Param Name = "MediaType" Value = "video" />
<Author > Legislative Assembly of Queensland</Author>
<Title > Queensland Parliamentary Proceedings</Title>
<Param Name = "type" Value = "broadcast" />
<Param Name = "Is_Trusted" Value = "false" />
<Param Name = "Is_Protected" Value = "false" />
<Ref href = "mms://203.147.162.146/MediaServer"/>
</Entry>
</Asx>

tcpdump shows incoming traffic from this server as http so I prusume it's
mms over http???

Options I'm looking for are:
1) maybe a straight streaming media proxy server of some description.
Squid will proxy it but not split it as such. There are various
proxy/reflectors available like helix and Apple's Darwin but they seem to
be for proprietry protocols and I'm not quite sure they are what I'm
after.
2) a streaming media server of some description that will read in one
stream then re-serve it out to multiple clients. I could probably redirect
clients from original URL to new URL using squid here.

If there's someone who has a clue here I'd appreciate some assistance as I
have no experience in streaming media technologies. Oh and obviously I'm
after something open source :)

Cheers
Peter Arnold