[H-GEN] Is this a DNS configuration problem?

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Wed Mar 10 20:43:24 EST 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com wrote:

> I don't understand what is happening here.  Hopefully one of the
> learned people on this list will be able to give me pointer to some
> doco that will explain what's going on so I can fix it.  I've done
> some googling and not found anything that makes sense to me. :-(
>
> The problem is the time delay in getting an ssh password prompt from a
> machine on the local network.  Here are the three cases I've tried.
> The first case takes approx. 9sec for a response.  The following two
> cases result in an (almost) instantaneous response.

Hi Ewan.  Could you cat /etc/resolv.conf for us.  If you see a "domain"
entry there replace it with a search and see if this helps.

If it is using a domain line it could be "climbing the tree" looking for a
valid host.  Domain lines in /etc/resolv.conf can be a security issue too
as you can actually be connecting to a host other than the one you meant
to.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org, rbrockway at uqconnect.net