[H-GEN] Is this a DNS configuration problem?

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Wed Mar 10 20:06:44 EST 2004

On 2004-03-11, Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com wrote:

> This is now looking very much like a DNS configuration issue.

Yes.

> What do I need to do to get the primary DNS server to answer hostname
> only queries as well as FQDN queries?

You can't do that.

You can, in certain circumstances, arrange for applications to
convert bare hostnames into FQDN's before making the query; the
man page for resolv.conf explains this, but it's not always
useful.

Clearly, you need to get somebody who understands DNS to have a
look at the entire set of records for the domains in question.
If you provide the actual names that you're interested in, with
the relevant correct data, somebody here might be able to see
the problem quickly (unless the issue is a broken split DNS with
the incorrect records only visible from the inside).

Cheers, Greg