[H-GEN] Samba browsing slow

R&J Stuart rjstuart at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 10 07:06:11 EST 2004

David Duffy wrote:

> OK, done that and got it running now. Should I be able to see all
> network activity or just the packets between this PC and my server?
> Since I have a network switch, I thought this port would not have
> any other machine's packets on it but it does seem to.
> David...

You will see anything that is going to or leaving your machines.  That
_includes_ stuff that is indirectly going to your machine - eg broadcasts
and packets that are implicitly going _through_ that machine (ie if your
machine is routing).

For the purposes of your browsing stuff, you will probably be seeing
broadcasts, though they may be a fallback name resolution method (but it
stil tells you a lot).

Robert