[H-GEN] Samba browsing slow

Wayne Sierke ws at senet.com.au
Tue Mar 9 07:49:36 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 22:38, David Duffy wrote:

> Sandra Milne wrote:
>
> >I just had a thought - is samba running as daemons or from inetd?
> >
> >If samba is running from inetd, it has to spawn a process every time
> >somebody accesses the box. If it's running as a daemon it just responds.
> >

> That's a good question. Now if I only knew what it meant!
> Hmmm... Time to go Googling again. :-)
> I can hear you all now: "Frickin Linux Newbie"
> David...

Probably the simplest way to check is to examine /etc/inetd.conf. If it
contains a couple of lines like:

#netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait          root    /usr/local/sbin/smbd    smbd
#netbios-ns dgram udp   wait            root    /usr/local/sbin/nmbd    nmbd

that aren't commented like these are, then you're running samba via
inetd. If those lines aren't there, or are commented-out like these,
then it's not running via inetd (you may have "139" in place of
"netbios-ssn" and "netbios-ns") and in which case it (samba) must be
started via startup scripts.  How to verify that depends on your
particular OS, eg. on my FreeBSD box I have the file:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba.sh

This file's presence is responsible for launching samba when the server
starts. It starts the samba daemons smbd and nmbd.

Wayne