[H-GEN] Cron logging has stopped

Rick Phillips rickp at suntech.net.au
Mon Mar 8 02:02:44 EST 2004

Hi Guys,

A week or more ago I sought some help with getting a cron job to email
me directly when it was done.  Everything was working fine until my
server went belly up in one of the recent storms, even though it was
attached to an UPS.

I have replaced the motherboard, RAM and video card and then upgraded
the OS to the latest official version of my OS of choice (Mandrake 9.2).

I now find that my cron jobs are not logging at all and although it
seems that they are running, I am at a loss to know what to do.  I have
restarted crond several times and inquired of its status and while it
confirms that it is a happy little chappy, I see no evidence,  I have
also cat'd crontab and cron files and they also look OK to me.

Can someone point me to where I should look for something wrong.  Have I
been rootkitted? I see no evidence in the usual places following a bad
experience I had 2 years ago.  I am paranoid about security updates and
apply them same day.  In fact one of my cron jobs checks the mirrors
daily.

Help would be appreciated,

Regards,

Rick