[H-GEN] Issues with TPG Broadband?

Sandra Mansell fakungabubu at internode.on.net
Wed Jun 30 08:21:50 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 03:47:54PM +0000, cbecwd wrote:
> I am thinking of going broadband with TPG and am running Mandrake 9.2.
> Are there any issues I need to be aware off before signing up? e.g.,
> will Mandrake detect the modem?...etc. As usual there is no mention of
> Linux in the T&G.

If you want an ISP that specifically supports Linux, go with internode.
They cost a bit more than TPG, but the service is impeccable and it's
nice to talk to an ISP that knows and supports your OS. They also run a
huge local mirror of the major distributions.

As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't use a USB modem. Ever. My modem
supports both USB and Ethernet, and I prefer to use Ethernet. (I have a
Netgear modem running under Debian.) No extras to setup using ethernet,
and it keeps USB out of my kernel (simple AMD K6-2-300 is the
router/gateway). Others may feel differently, but I figure a decent
network card costs around $20, so why not use that. I leave USB to
Windows machines so I don't have to mess with plug and pray in linux.

Sandra.
fakungabubu at internode.on.net
http://www.users.on.net/ickus/
"Oh wonderful, they're alive. Now you can torture them with
your inane dribblings."
  -- Rygel (to Stark) "Green-Eyed Monster"
      Farscape season 3 episode 8