[H-GEN] Samba and Windows XP

Harry Phillips harry at tux.com.au
Thu Jun 24 08:00:28 EDT 2004

Stuart Longland wrote:

>>With Windows 95/98, it was easy. You simply enter in the NT Domain that
>>you wanted to logon to, Client for Micrsoft networking etc.. And way you
>>go... You are presented with a logon screen, "username, password and
>>domain". The "domain" you can change obviously.
>>
>>Now with Windows XP, how is this done ?
>

> As far as I know, Windows XP needs some registry keys to convince it to
> connect to a Linux server.
>
> Have a look at:
> <http://lists.linux.org.au/archives/lias/2002-November/msg00033.html>

Not only that but you must be aware that XP can only be a member of one
domain at a time. That drop down box will only ever have two choices,
one is the local PC, the other is the domain XP (or NT2 or Win2K) is a
member of.

There is an excellent article on setting up a Linux Samba server as the
domain controller. Google on the terms "mandrake user samba domain
controller" It even has the .reg file you need to merge into XP's registry.

I use Webmin to convert all my users from UNIX to Samba, I then use the
"sync user" function of Webmin to create a Samba user automatically when
creating a new user.

--
Regards,
Harry Phillips