[H-GEN] SATA drives under Linux

Paul Gearon pag at tucanatech.com
Thu Jun 17 00:22:33 EDT 2004

Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com wrote:

> I'm looking at buying a box with SATA controller and disc drives.
>
> Does anyone know of any problems or gotchas running Linux
> (probably Mandrake 10 and Fedora 2) on such hardware?

This isn't related to Linux, but if you put an older Parallel-ATA drive into
the box then many motherboards won't let you boot from the SATA drives.  This
is a pain if you have a perfectly working system, and you decide to throw in a
second cheaper drive (for whatever reason).  In this case you'll suddenly
discover that you can't boot.

It's easy to fix by putting a boot loader on the PATA drive.  No big deal, but
you did ask if there are any gotchas.

--
Regards,
Paul Gearon

Software Engineer                Telephone:   +61 7 3876 2188
Tucana Technologies              Fax:         +61 7 3876 4899
                                  http://www.tucanatech.com

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")