[H-GEN] Cluseter + ISOs (was Multi-thread downloads)

David Seikel won_fang at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jun 5 09:20:51 EDT 2004

Another one for me.

On Thu, 27 May 2004 19:42:05 +1000 Scott Burns <sburns at ihug.com.au>
wrote:

>     I'm fairly new to the group, and have only recently had anything
> worth sharing with others.  Is there a FAQ or such about the cluster
> and getting ISOs etc shared to it, or grabbing them off of it?  After
> the amount of hassle it took to get FC2 transferred off of my CDs and
> onto another person's hard drive, I really don't want to have to do it
> many more times...

Hi, my name is Dave.  I'm the current vice-president of HUMBUG.  You can always find me at the rear corner of the meeting room.  The cluster host is my personal machine and not a service provided by HUMBUG.  At most you could call it semi official (I started it before I became vice-president, there is support for it on the official HUMBUG meeting server, and I have the blessing of the rest of the exec).

The URL for my servers front page is always written on the blackboard at the rear of the room.  From there you will find links to much of what is on offer.  Some of it is well polished, some of it is utter crud, but most of it is useable and I am slowly getting it sorted out.

I'm the big hairy guy (bearded and balding) using the LCD monitor, often with the actual cluster (three mini towers) beside me.  Ask around, most members can point me out.  The only FAQ is currently in my head, feel free to ask me.  I am usually there from start to finish.

If you have the disk/s, leave them with me at meetings and I should be able to get around to scraping an iso of them, to hand them back later in the meeting when I have finished.  If you only have an iso, tell me and I will let you know how to use FTP or SCP to upload it.  I try to provide many methods to get files from my server.  HTTP, FTP, TFTP, NFS, SCP, and FISH are currently supported (SMB will never be supported).  There is usually someone at meetings that can burn iso's at meetings if you want disks.  On my shopping list is a DVD burner so that I can provide that service myself.

I should turn this email into the beginnings of a FAQ B-).