[H-GEN] E Smith & BPA login

Tony Bilbrough mtbilbro at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jun 4 19:52:51 EDT 2004

G'day All,
I know there was someone at the last meeting asking about how to get E
Smith working under Bigpond cable
This is how I think we did it, - but I would appreciate being shown if
we went wrong at any point
Tony

To install E Smith v 5.6 and v6.0.1 as a Router/Firewall/Server thru a
Cable Modem
For a Telstra Bigpond account in Brisbane, Queensland, Oz.
In this case the installation went onto an IBM P133 with 64 Mb RAM and 6
Gb hdd. It could be any machine above a 386, with 8 Mb RAM and a 1.2 Gb
hdd. Only the installation will be slower. It will still run faster than
any component on your network.

The BPA Login script has to be installed via floppy, Version 2 was used
here.

mount /dev/fd0
cd /mnt/floppy
ls
rpm –Uvh bpalogin [tab]
cd bpalogin-2.0 [tab]

Then edit
vi /etc/bpalogin.conf
to add
username should be like:
“username mtbilbro”
password should be like:
“password xyz1234

Under the line “#authserver dce-server” (or sm-server), add the line:
“authserver 61.9.208.13"

Then edit
vi /etc/init.d/bpalogin
And at the start of the line below: “echo -n Starting bpalogin”, add the
word
“daemon” and a space

The script places a login sim link into a level 5 directory.
[rc5.d] S50bpalogin

But E Smith uses level 7 for this action. Create one from level 5 to 7 :
cd /etc/rc7.d
ln -s /etc/init.d/bpalogin S50bpalogin

Happy Hunting

Baggins, Stephen & Q, ‘02 for E Smith v5.6
Baggins and Alan ‘04 for E Smith v6.01
Thank you http://www.esmith.org and the team who wrote the bpa login script

--
Hydroponics - 1 square metre