[H-GEN] Text Processor Tool

Matthew Sellers msellers at bigpond.com
Sat Jul 31 04:17:12 EDT 2004

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 03:35:50 +1000
James Mills <prologic at shortcircuit.net.au> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Has anyone come across an application with any or similar features to
> the following:
>
> * XML based source files
> * Document classes (Article, Book, CV, etc... similar to LyX)
> * Tree-Like editing (open/close 'ing of edited sections) much the same
>   way as the Debian package 'woody'.
> * Export to: HTML, PDF, PostScript, DVI ...
> * vi-like key bindings or something configurable or easy to use
> -> * NCurses-based or Terminal-based app

Since you already use LyX, LaTeX may be a viable choice

the vim latex suite has everything you seem to want except for XML based source
files and that it requires a knowledge of LaTeX

The debian package is
vim-latexsuite

The homepage is
http://vim-latex.sourceforge.net/

The feature list
http://vim-latex.sourceforge.net/index.php?subject=features&title=Features

and on my system i found the following command a good start
vim /usr/share/vim/addons/doc/latex-suite-quickstart.txt.gz

Since you mention woody, you may be interested in the debian package
vim-vimoutliner

which seems to have a similar purpose, but working as a vim plugin.

info at
http://www.troubleshooters.com/projects/vimoutliner/index.htm

the new homepage (which doesn't seem to be accessible at the moment)
http://www.vimoutliner.org/

Before anyone interjects, I am aware that LaTeX is convoluted and sometimes
awkward. Whether it counts as productivity depends on the individual.

--
Matthew Sellers