[H-GEN] Text Processor Tool

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Fri Jul 30 20:19:03 EDT 2004

On 2004-07-31, James Mills wrote:

> Has anyone come across an application with any or similar features to
> the following:
>
> * XML based source files
> * Document classes (Article, Book, CV, etc... similar to LyX)
> * Tree-Like editing (open/close 'ing of edited sections) much the same
>   way as the Debian package 'woody'.
> * Export to: HTML, PDF, PostScript, DVI ...
> * vi-like key bindings or something configurable or easy to use
> -> * NCurses-based or Terminal-based app

OpenOffice does all this except for the final item.

> For the few that do know me, I am Visually Impaired and my sight has
> gotten worse and now heavily rely on Text-based software since it's the
> easiest to read without having to blow the font up too large reducing
> the ammount you can see and thus reducing my efficiency to work.

I don't have your visual problem, so I may be misunderstanding
something here -- but it seems to me that I can do better with a
graphics display than with a text display when it comes to
reading stuff on screen.  My eyesight is not brilliant, partly
due to genetics and partly to age; so many text displays (both
on screen and on paper) leave me wanting to inflict painful
attitude readjustment on the perpetrators, but I find that I can
set suitable font sizes in graphics applications that meet my
needs.  I wonder if this is something that you could explore
further?  Bear in mind that bad graphics fonts (of which there
are millions) are really awful; good fonts (which are much
rarer, but do exist) can be great.

I don't know if this is something that you've already explored
extensively; if so, sorry for wasting electrons.

> I therefore am now at another problem trying to solve. That is the
> entire deal of Writing documents for uni, work, other people, etc...

This too, is a great application for OpenOffice ...

Cheers, Greg