[H-GEN] Kernel Panic! :)

Scott Burns sburns at ihug.com.au
Thu Jul 22 08:10:22 EDT 2004

Greg Black wrote:

>It's almost certain that you've described a machine with faulty
>hardware; the specific issue that is triggering it is not really
>important.  The most likely fault is RAM; next is disk; next is
>other stuff which is only worth checking after the first two
>have been eliminated.

Hi,
    just thought I'd throw in my two cents.  The very first thing I
check is the fans.  Clean out your heat sink and you just might be
lucky.  A dead CPU fan can cause overheating of the CPU or components
nearby - RAM tends to be close nowadays and you could get a false
positive from memtest if so.  I've also seen a dead power supply fan
slowly roast a tape drive from 15cm away.  In a 25 degree office the
plastic front of the tape drive was warm to the touch - 40 degrees or more.

    Anyway, it's a one minute check that works for me.

    I also have to say that out of the 7 socket seven boards in the room
with me now, one has a few zapped PCI slots and a dead IDE channel after
a power spike, and a second need "warming up" with power running through
it for 20 minutres or so before it will boot.  The other 5 are dead.
The 4 socket 3s with 486s are running without a care in the world.  We
are starting to see failed socket 7s at work, too.  The later models
with 500MHz AMDs are fine, but the pentium Is are falling over more and
more.  I don't know what other people are seeing but I've got no real
faith in the pentium I systems anymore.

 Scott