[H-GEN] Kernel Panic! :)

Nikolai Lusan nikolai at humbug.org.au
Mon Jul 19 00:53:59 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 09:57, James Mills wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:47:37AM +1000, Stuart Longland wrote:
> > Seen on occasion.  RAM can cause this problem, try running memtest86 on
> > a continuous cycle for a few days and see what happens.  Also worth
> > checking is the CPU, etc...  Look for clues reguarding when it goes
> > down, is there a pattern? (e.g. does it do it in the heat of the day? or
> > when you do something I/O intensive?)
>
> It appears (according to my hostmon logs) to happen really early in the
> morning. ie: 6-7 am when it's really cold :)

You do realize that this is when daily cron jobs normally happen? If you
want something I/O intensive then running updatedb on an IDE system will
do that, it will also flog the ram (I don't imagine, that the machine
has much running on it that would use ram). I seriously recomend that
you replace the machine if you consider it so "mission critical" that
you can't take it down to investigate the error.

Nikolai