[H-GEN] Linux file server

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sat Jul 3 14:17:44 EDT 2004

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Jason Parker-Burlingham wrote:

> > So for XFS users, using dd like this is just not an option at the
> > moment.
>
> Would you really want to copy the UUID for the host filesystem anyway?
> (No, seriously, I'm curious and can't make a good decision.)

I realised after posting I'd failed to mention that in general I am not a
fan of using dd to do backups.  I just wanted people to know about the XFS
problem in case they were a fan of this approach.

> It strikes me that you're better off to store xfsdump images or
> tarballs, or at the worst, suck it up and run an rsync overnight.

I concur.  In reality I would be inclined to use xfsdump (or possibly
rsync).  Xfsdump is the only way to currently be sure to get the XFS
extended attributes (ok, dd would get them).  Unlike some its counterparts
(dump for ext2/3) xfsdump is built to be used on a read-write mounted
filesystem (so say the developers) and is recommended by SGI as the
preferred way to backup XFS.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org, rbrockway at uqconnect.net