[H-GEN] Linux file server

Paul Gearon pag at tucanatech.com
Thu Jul 1 21:46:26 EDT 2004

Tim Browne wrote:
> I have easy access to both Promise and Adpatec controllers.
> and
> Sony,LG,Mitsubishi DVDs.
>
> I would like peoples input on what ATA raid hardware (PATA or SATA) and
> DVD writer is the best way to go. Any experiences on what makes and
> models have worked, or not worked, would be appreciated.

I don't have much experience with ATA RAID, but I'd definately recommend going
SATA over PATA.  Also, we're using SATA RAID here at work on an Opteron, and
it's great (ask David Jerico for details).

As for DVD recorders, I've already stated this, but I highly recommend the LG
drive.  They are inexpensive (I spent $220 on mine), and burn all formats,
including DVD-RAM.

The drive works fine under Linux with one exception.  It won't read the second
layer on a dual layer DVD.  Of course, this has no effect on burning (since we
can still only burn single layer discs).  The only problem is if you want to
watch or rip DVD movies with the drive (which it doesn't look like you want to
do).  I have no idea if other DVD burners suffer from this as well.

--
Regards,
Paul Gearon

Software Engineer                Telephone:   +61 7 3876 2188
Tucana Technologies              Fax:         +61 7 3876 4899
                                  http://www.tucanatech.com

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")