[H-GEN] GPL question

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at panix.com
Mon Jan 5 22:58:15 EST 2004

Paul Gearon <pag at pisoftware.com> writes:

> Now derivation is an interesting point.  The GPL *does* mention
> deriving your work from GPLed code (section 2 refers to this).
> However, wouldn't section 0 be the first consideration here?  Again,
> it says: "Activities other than copying, distribution and modification
> are not covered by this License; they are outside its scope."  So
> isn't it true that if the "derivation" does not involve copying,
> distribution, or modification, then the GPL will not apply?

If I understand correctly one of the early responses to your question,
the respondent pointed out that you can do whatever you want with a
GPLed program until you try to give it to other people (for money or
gratis).  At that point the license comes into effect.

Personally, while I can see the utility of being able to dynamically
link proprietary code to a GPLed library, I'd have to say it seems to
be a bit of a semantic quibble to get around the entirely reasonable
restrictions the license would otherwise impose on you.

jason, getting back to answering personal email, now
--
http://panix.com/~jasonp?BabyPictures