[H-GEN] GPL question

Paul Gearon pag at pisoftware.com
Mon Jan 5 21:21:52 EST 2004

Trent Waddington wrote:

> Obviously you're allowed to link anything you want to anything else you
> want and no-one can do a damn thing about it.. what you can't do is then
> *distribute* that combined work as something non-GPL (which is where all
> the other aspects of the GPL license come into play).
>
> Hope that clarifys things.

Well that just follows my own link of thinking.

I was thinking of a situation where a dynamic library was supplied as
GPL only.  Leaving the issues of header files aside for a moment, it
should be possible to build and distribute a non-GPL program that uses
this library.  You simply need to state that the library must be
installed on your system in order to run the program.  You could then
choose to distribute the GPLed library and its source, but that's up to you.

The only way I can think that this might be wrong is tied up with the
definitions used for the symbols in the library.  Typically these are in
headers, and I guess that by "including" a GPLed header you could be
considered to extending that source.  However, does a "#include" fall
into the category of "copying, distribution or modification"?  If not
then it would seem that the GPL would allow it.

--
Regards,
Paul Gearon

Software Engineer                Telephone:   +61 7 3876 2188
Plugged In Software              Fax:         +61 7 3876 4899
http://www.PIsoftware.com        PGP Key available via finger

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")