[H-GEN] SMTP redirect

Harry Phillips harry at tux.com.au
Mon Jan 5 06:07:08 EST 2004

I have a Kodak digital camera tat I got for xmas.

I have a workstation that runs Win2K and a Linux SMTP gateway/server.
The software for the camera comes with a feature to e-mail pictures.
There is no setting in the software for the outgoing SMTP server. All
mail goes via the Kodak mail servers. What they do with the pictures is
anybody's guess.

What I would like to do is setup an iptables rule that will redirect
traffic trying to get out to the Kodak SMTP servers to my own internal
server.

I have my internal postfix server setup so that it sends all my outgoing
mail via my ISP's SMTP server. Since I have little idea on iptables
would the following rule work without interfering with the current setup?

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 25 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.1:25

The way I see it the internal windows boxen wanting to get to the Kodak
server will be redirected to the internal Postfix server. The postfix
server will then hit the OUTGOING rules of iptables and the above rule
won't affect it.

I want to see what actually gets sent to the Kodak servers before they
do what they do to it. I would like to know if the formatting of the
message is done by the workstation or their servers.

--
Regards,
Harry Phillips