[H-GEN] Software for sending bulk-email (need to throughput-test anti-spam filter)

Stuart Longland stuartl at longlandclan.hopto.org
Fri Feb 6 16:43:14 EST 2004

Christopher Biggs wrote:

> Basically, I want to be a spammer.  Unfortunately, spammers tend not
> to post their engines on freshmeat.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions?

You could start emailing the spammers -- and perhaps subscribing to some
pornography sites -- that usually sends the incomming email count
through the roof.

The other option (and perhaps a safer one), would be to use a perl
script to pluck a random message out of a directory, then feed it to
Sendmail.  Doing this from an outside host, whilst running multiple
instances of the script in parallel, wouldn't be unlike some spammers.

Something along the lines of:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

# This script may be a pain in the neck to terminate with CTRL+C, hence
# it'll tell you its PID before it starts, so you can kill it.
opendir DIR, "." or
	die ("Failed to open current directory: $!\n");

foreach $direntry (readdir DIR) {
	if (-f $direntry) {
		push @emails, $direntry;
	}
}
closedir DIR;

print "Running as PID $$\n";
while (1) {
	open SENDMAIL, "| /usr/bin/sendmail OPTIONS" or
		die ("Failed to open pipe to sendmail: $!\n");

	open EMAIL, '<'.$emails[ rand( $#emails ) ] or
		die ("Failed to open test email: $!\n");

	foreach $line (<EMAIL>) {
		# Perhaps do some line-by-line transformations here?
		print SENDMAIL $line;
	}

	close EMAIL;
	close SENDMAIL;
}

| Stuart Longland           stuartl at longlandclan.hopto.org |
| Brisbane Mesh Node: 719             http://stuartl.cjb.net/ |
| I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |
| Atomic Linux Project    <--->    http://atomicl.berlios.de/ |