[H-GEN] Java vs Anything flame war (?)

Andrae Muys andrae.muys at braintree.com.au
Wed Feb 4 02:04:17 EST 2004

ben.carlyle at invensys.com wrote:
>>Anti-java but pro-C#... amusing as the two platforms are close enough
>>that there is no rational reason to differentiate to that degree.
> I've seen sun's java version of their old workshop software (SunOne or
> some such). If you've seen the same then you'll probably understand when I
> say "If sun can't get java GUI apps working, how can I expect to do so?"

I can do better than that; I have written java GUI apps before :).
Swing is a nice enough API, but getting decent performance is very hard.
  OTOH I've heard good things about SWT; its philosophy is going to
avoid the worst performance headaches of swing; and if the performance
of eclipse is anything to go by they have managed to avoid any
showstoppers of their own.

> I'm currently involved in a technology assessment for the future HMI
> direction of my group. So far QT is the stand-out choice.

QT is nice, especially if you are a C++ shop.  However technically I
dislike their introduction of their own pre-processor; and as I am not
particularly fond of C++, it's close ties to C++.  From a business
perspective I have serious concerns with the involvement of Canopy Group
in TrollTech.

Andrae

--
  Andrae Muys    <andrae.muys at braintree.com.au>