[H-GEN] "No space left on device" - 0 inodes (fwd)

Robert Brockway rbrockway at opentrend.net
Sun Dec 12 13:04:03 EST 2004

Forwarded as requested by James.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:54:35 +1000
From: James Mills <jamesm at shortcircuit.net.au>
To: Robert Brockway <rbrockway at opentrend.net>
Subject: Re: [H-GEN] "No space left on device" - 0 inodes

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 07:34:31PM +0000, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, James Mills wrote:
>
>>My web server, dede has apparently run out of inodes, which is
>>supposedly the result of the messages I have been receiving about "No
>>Space left on device", despite the fact that there is a good 500M of
>>space available according to df -h.
>>
>>df -i however, reports 0 inodes available to the system.
>
> What filesystem are you using?
>
> One of the resize tools might be able to help you.  It's been 10 years
> since I ran into a problem like this so no idea if the modern resize tools
> deal with it.
>
> The way I would traditionally deal with this is to backup the relevant
> filesystem while the box is in single user mode, shift the data off,
> remake the filesystem with _more_ inodes and move the data back - after
> making sure my backups were good :)

It's ok. I figured out what the problem was.

There were 300,000+ files in /var/lib/php4

Would you be able to forward a copy of this to the HumBug General
Mailing List please... (I'm not using my account registered with HumBug
at this time).

I am also curious to know what these 300,000+ files were, and what this
directory is used for... More to the point, what would cause 300,000+
files to be created in the first place.

cheers
James