[H-GEN] root bash path (in Debian)

Doug South doug.south at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 20:06:36 EST 2004

Hi All,

Quick question regarding root's PATH variable via bash.

I've set a PATH in /etc/profile and found it was being clobbered for
root (but not for other users). On further investigation, I found that
~/.profile for root is explicitly setting PATH and taking no notice of
the previously set PATH.

/etc/profile had

PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games"

and root's ./~profile is (not the "interjected" sbin references...)

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11

would it be sufficiently the same (I know it isn't the same, but for
practical purposes, I'm wondering if it is) to have root's ./~profile
as

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:$PATH

? Is there some security thingo I would be violating by doing that?

Regards,
Doug

--
Any sufficiently complicated Java program requires a programmable IDE
to make up for the half of Common Lisp not implemented in the program