[H-GEN] Hostnames in meeting.humbug.org.au

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at panix.com
Mon Aug 16 23:02:50 EDT 2004

Robert Brockway <robert at timetraveller.org> writes:

> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, David O'Brien wrote:
>> I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but being a Tech Writer I see some
>> pretty interesting spelling attempts from a lot of very learned and clever
>> people. So, while deciding on a naming scheme, might I suggest we choose one
>> that has relatively straight forward names?
> Can I direct everyone with an interest to RFC1178 which proposes a set of
> well thought out criteria for a naming scheme.  Being able to spell the
> names is one important requirement.

I'm using the International Phonetic Alphabet for almost exactly this
reason, along with CNAMEs to add entries for the letter so named:
delta.local.addr is the same as d.local.addr, for example.  They're
usually short, easy to spell and somewhat easy to remember (learning
the IPA is another reason for using this scheme).

Not so useful for Mark, though.  Leaving out the obvious from rgb.txt
yields about 100 names:

   $ perl -F -lane'
          next if(m/(light|medium|dark|deep|grey|gray)/i); # skip repeats
          $_=lc$F[-1]; # grab last field, lowercase
          s/\d$//; # trim trailing digit
          $h{$_}++ # along with following statement, make unique and print
       }{
          print map {"$_\n"} keys %h' /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt | head
   puff
   peru
   saddlebrown
   seagreen
   dodgerblue
   olivedrab
   green
   navyblue
   rose
   honeydew

(Code and output formatted for width and readability.)

jason
--
http://panix.com/~jasonp?BabyPictures