Bad experiences with distros (was Re: [H-GEN] CRUX (A programmers linux distro))

Matthew Sellers msellers at bigpond.com
Fri Aug 6 11:52:58 EDT 2004

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 21:03:14 +1000
Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net> wrote:

> On 2004-08-06, Matthew Sellers wrote:
> > Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net> wrote:
> >
> > >     I have played with Debian installs, but abandoned it once I
> > >     had determined that Debian did not have support for the
> > >     hardware I wanted it to run on.  Since then, I've stuck with
> > >     BSD variants.
> >
> > Could you please clarify this; what hardware advantages do you get from
> > BSDs? I would be interested to know.
>
> I don't understand the question.  What part of "Debian did not
> have support for the hardware I wanted it to run on" requires
> clarification?

I was wondering whether it was the base architecture[1] or certain types of
peripherals that were not supported. Or maybe just because Debian stable is
almost always older than most other stable distributions.

Essentially it was the "hardware" part that I wanted to know about. I had
thought that most deployments would have been chosen on OS features rather than
hardware support issues.

[1]  I believe that Debian has not been ported to stone circles as of yet. The
     druidic community much preferring the long standing RUNIX operating system.

--
Matthew Sellers