Bad experiences with distros (was Re: [H-GEN] CRUX (A programmers linux distro))

Sandra Mansell fakungabubu at internode.on.net
Thu Aug 5 21:57:25 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 06:03:00PM +1000, Greg Black wrote:
> This is a great example of the kind of thing I wrote about in my
> other post a few minutes ago.  (I read the above as "he's never
> managed to setup X, but I've fixed it for him" -- if I got that
> wrong, the following guff might not be very useful.)

You got it right.

> The idea is that you come along and help him get X working as he
> wants it.  You then, as part of those automatic backups I was
> talking about, keep a copy of the XF86Config file (or whatever
> your system uses).  Then, when it's time to upgrade, you just
> suck the backup into place and bingo.

If that were always the problem, I would have done that for him.
Unfortunately he has this annoying bug every time he installs Debian.
His installs never seem to install an xserver for him. Every other X
package is there except the server. I usually have to trawl through
package lists until I find the missing package and install that for him.
It's really rather irritating and I'd hoped it'd be gone by version 3
but it seemed to get worse. (He was missing 4 or 5 packages this time
iirc.)

Sandra.
fakungabubu at internode.on.net
http://www.users.on.net/ickus/
"Oh wonderful, they're alive. Now you can torture them with
your inane dribblings."
  -- Rygel (to Stark) "Green-Eyed Monster"
      Farscape season 3 episode 8