Bad experiences with distros (was Re: [H-GEN] CRUX (A programmers linux distro))

David Jericho davidj at tucanatech.com
Thu Aug 5 21:27:42 EDT 2004

Tim Browne wrote:

> Have you ever had any problems with the RPM system? If so are these
> regular or rare?

Not since Red Hat Linux 9. The only problem I had with 9 was solved by
deleting the __db* files from /var/lib/rpm and running rpm --rebuilddb
after making sure I had no running rpm processes.

> I moved away from RedHat because I got a corrupted RPM system. After
> many hours  looking for and trying various solutions I still could not
> get the thing fixed. From memory this was back at version 8, I assume
> they continue to update and improve the RPM system.

RPM is not without flaws, but when compared to the plethora of other
packaging solutions out there, it's definitely up there in the least 5
sucky.

--
David Jericho
Senior Systems Administrator, Tucana Technologies