Bad experiences with distros (was Re: [H-GEN] CRUX (A programmers linux distro))

David Jericho davidj at tucanatech.com
Thu Aug 5 18:51:20 EDT 2004

Bradley Marshall wrote:

>On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 04:42:52PM +1000, David Jericho wrote:
>

>>I have Kickstart setups here
>>that'll rebuild a workstation from cold metal in about 15 minutes at 1.8
>>GBytes installed. It takes another 10 to update the box using yum or
>>up2date.
>>

>Doesn't it seem wrong that the updating takes 2/3rds of the time of the
>install?

No, why should it? The distribution is proactive with respect to bugs
and security issues, and I do have to reboot the machine. Fedora Core 1
is over a year old now and anyone who's been paying attention on
debian-security, fedora-security or any of the million other security
mailing lists will notice a lot of patches have been made. RPM also does
do MD5 sums and other paranoia checks on files it's responsible for. On
a new file system, it only needs to check it wrote the file correctly.

I could be using one of the *BSDs or Gentoo, often recompiling my
security patches from source. I could also be using Solaris with a
shockingly bad auto updater that never quite works right after following
the documentation like a zealot, or a recommended patch set installer
that seems to try to install everything without first checking if it has
been applied in the past.

Out of interest, I just did check what does get updated on an install.
The kernel-source at 40MB compressed, OpenOffice at 73 compressed, Perl
at 15 compressed, and XFree86 at around 30 compressed. Glibc and a SMP
and non-SMP kernel will also get updated. I don't have a problem so far
with 10 minutes.

The only thing I do miss about Debian is apt-list-changes that informs
me of changes between versions before I install them.