[H-GEN] Which is better?

Adrian Sutton adrian at intencha.com
Wed Apr 28 00:14:24 EDT 2004

> This sounds a lot like what you have written above.  Lots of
> authoritative sounding phrases.  But since you offer no way of checking
> on them I would have to take your word for it.

Yes, that's my entire point.  You can't prove this stuff, you can't say
that this minor tweak improves performance by X amount, you can't say
anything definitive about performance until you profile the real world
application you're dealing with.  To prove my point all I need to do is
cast some doubt on the authoritativeness of your figures, which I did.
I presented a number of things which may have affected the results you
got.  You've come back and disagreed with some of them and thrown some
more numbers into the mix that you believe support your case, some
right, some wrong.   At this point though there is no point in us
continuing to go back and forward over this.  If you want to believe
that ++i is faster than i++ and that it's worth your while remembering
that, go right ahead.  I'll happily continue with the process that has
proven itself time and time again in my work with Java:

1. Think through your design and choose appropriate algorithms.
2. Write clean maintainable code.
3. If the application isn't fast enough, profile it.
4. Fix the performance bottle necks.
5. Go to step 3.

Regards,

Adrian Sutton.