[H-GEN] Which is better?

Harry Phillips harry at tux.com.au
Tue Apr 27 01:44:39 EDT 2004

Edwin Groothuis wrote:

>>The real question here is: why do you care?
>>
>>At this stage of your programming life, your only real goal is to get it
>>right.
>

> So trying to understand how it works, figuring out what the differences
> are between two implementations, learning from experiences of others,
> isn't part of "getting it right"?

If I knew enough to ask the right questions I probably wouldn't need to
ask. Greg was right in the answer he gave. It was option (c) of my
question, the system takes care of things and I don't need to worry
about it.

> He showed some examples, analysed it and wanted to known our opinions
> about it. It sounds like he was actively[sp] looking for solutions.

Maybe I should have asked, is there a difference, and if there is a
difference is it enough to worry about.

I am guessing Greg would have probably answered, yes there is a
difference and no it's not enough to worry about (until much later).

> Doesn't sound like somebody who just wants to get the piece of
> paper.

I do the want the piece of paper, but it's not the only thing I want. I
love learning and felt that I had reached the current limit of my self
teaching.

So far I have taught myself, Novell 4.11 (I have my CNE4 and CNE5) and
Linux (and now run a business setting up Samba servers).

I actually doubt that my current situation will change much once I do
have my degree. I will however have a greater depth of knowledge and am
planning on helping out on some OSS projects, actually I will probably
be doing that before I graduate.

--
Regards,
Harry Phillips