[H-GEN] mac stuff

Mark Ellem colmiga at idx.com.au
Tue Apr 20 22:17:18 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 21 April 2004 11:27, Sandra Milne wrote:

> I have no idea what software is on it, but I'm curious which
> distribution it would be able to take. Apparently the 250meg drive in it
> is scsi, and from the searching I did it should be able to run MacOS8.1
> ... I shall eventually boot it to see if there is any OS on it.

Well it should run Debian GNU/Linux just fine. I used to run the m68k version
of that distro on my Amiga 4000/040 (same cpu family as early macs) and it
was about the same as an old 486 speed wise.

I have an idea in the future to run Linux on my Amiga again but through
classic mac emulation (uses the CPU directly and in some cases is faster in
certain operations than a real 040 based mac). This way I can take advantage
of the NIC on the 4000 so I can actually do some proper networking (no native
Linux driver you see).

Mark.