[H-GEN] Data exporting Was: NFS exporting

ben.carlyle at invensys.com ben.carlyle at invensys.com
Tue Apr 13 03:36:41 EDT 2004

Harry Phillips <harry at tux.com.au>
Sent by: general-bounces at lists.humbug.org.au
13/04/2004 01:38 PM

        To:     Humbug - General <general at lists.humbug.org.au>
        cc:
        Subject:        [H-GEN] NFS exporting

> What I want to do now is export that dir from my server via NFS and
> allow root access to write to it.

Speaking of exporting data, I'm curious as to what humbug members are
using at home to get data from one machine to another in a convenient,
adhoc manner. Lately I've been jumping between desktop environments and
was fairly happy with the fish: module. That allows konqueror to access
any machine you can ssh into as if it were local. Going back to gnome I'm
finding myself without a happy alternative. I currently have two linux
machines, each turned on at different (only sometimes overlapping) times
of the day. When both are up I want authorised users from each machine to
be able to access portions of the other that they have permission to
access simply. Out of convenience I've been using samba and smb: links
within nautilus, but is there a better way? The first thing that comes to
mind is webdav. Is there anyone out there with experience sharing files
using webdav? What are humbuggers using on their home machines?

Benjamin.