[H-GEN] Traffic shaping

Harry Phillips harry at tux.com.au
Sun Apr 4 07:55:20 EDT 2004

Does anyone know what was shaping the traffic at the last meeting? I
could not get any faster than 8.5 on each thread. In the early evening
if I was using about 4 threads for downloading I could not surf the web.
Toward the end of the night (10:30pm) I could get more threads going but
each was still 8.5k.

Was on the UQ side or was it something else? Is that what is going to
happen at the next meeting?

I would like to know how it is was done. I want to do the same thing at
a client's site. They already have a transparent proxy setup. The only
difference I would like is to be able to set a limit on the IP not just
the thread. So if they started multiple threads their bandwidth would be
limited to say 20k of the 50k ADSL connection. That way the usual
bandwidth hogs can't kill everyone elses connection.

Can it that be done like that? If they have one thread it goes at 20k,
if they have 4 threads they are dynamically limited to 5k each, giving
the host a 20k bandwidth total. As each thread finished the bandwidth on
the remaining ones would increase until the total was 20k again. If more
threads are added then the opposite happens.

--
Regards,
Harry Phillips