[H-GEN] Printer advice wanted

Arjen Lentz arjen at mysql.com
Tue Sep 30 19:37:26 EDT 2003

Hi Greg,

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 17:09, Greg Black wrote:
> I've been a PostScript black & white laser printer user for
> ever, but my wife wants to be able to print colour brochures and
> family photos -- so we need a cheapish colour inkjet printer and
> it has to work with standard free Unix tools on random FreeBSD
> hosts.  This probably means no USB, as I have no way of finding
> out if the FreeBSD USB stuff works before I get the printer, but
> it also means I need something that will work with ghostscript.
>
> I can't understand how to match the ghostscript devices with the
> printers I can find in the shops.  I'm sort of interested in
> things like the Epson C61 at $179 or the HP Deskjet 5652 at
> $299; but I'm happy to look at other brands and other prices in
> the general range.

The EPSON Stylus Cxx series work extremely well with e.g. CUPS.
Very good quality printing, generally better than with the EPSON drivers
on Win (interesting point).

They have both parallel and USB connectors, and I've used both without
any hassle. Do check that the model you pick still offers parallel,
perhaps EPSON decided to economise at some point ;-)

> If anybody knows anything about this, I'd love to hear from
> you.  Feel free to reply direct to me rather than the list.  I
> was looking at the display at OfficeWorks, but am also happy to
> be redirected to other sources so long as they're between the
> city and Indooroopilly.

Hmm. I was going to say that MegaMart in Coorparoo generally wins the
price battle (even without using their lowest-price guarantee).
OfficeWorks shouldn't be too far off... it varies.

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Technical Writer, Trainer
Brisbane, QLD Australia

Brisbane 3 November (5 days): Using & Managing MySQL Training
Training,Support,Licenses,T-shirts @ https://order.mysql.com/?marl