[H-GEN] Email filtering

Ewan Edwards Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com
Wed Sep 24 18:22:39 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 09:14 pm, David Duffy wrote:

> Is dropping still better than rejecting even with known spammers?
> I mean, if the get a reject, do they remove your address?

In a lot of cases, the spammers don't have a list, as such, to remove your
address from.

In those cases, they have scripts that generate addresses by the thousand.
They expect that a large number of the addresses generated will be rejected
by the receiving MTA, but a sufficient proportion will be accepted.

Just think, if you had a list of registered domain names and lists of
christian & family names, you'd probably find it quite easy to write a script
that would put them together to make thousands of potential email addresses.

Fortunately, there are a few tricks that can be used to slow down these
useless pieces of human garbage.  Monitor the Postfix users mail list for a
while and you'll see a few.