[H-GEN] Email filtering

David Duffy david at audiovisualdevices.com.au
Wed Sep 24 07:01:06 EDT 2003

Harry Phillips wrote:

> David Duffy wrote:
>
>> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug
>> and     ]
>> [ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses will
>> vanish. ]
>>
>> G'day,
>> With the current wave of virus emails (Microsoft lookalikes),
>> what's the best way to automatically reject/clobber them?
>> I guess I could use a procmail rule (tried but failed!) but I'd
>> rather reject them in the first place instead of accepting them
>> only to drop them later on in the chain. That raises another
>> question; if I reject an email using the access file, how much
>> of that email makes it onto my system? Just the header?
>> David...
>>

> There are two things that spring to my mind.
>
> Add to /etc/mail/spammassassin/local.cf
>
> score MICROSOFT_EXECUTABLE 4
> score MIME_HTML_NO_CHARSET 1.1
>
> That only does it's job *after* the entire message has been downloaded.

Thanks Harry, I've just added them. I'll see how many come in tonight.

> To filter mail on just the headers there are several programs, one is
> called poppy, another is called 'Save my modem'

My server (RH7.1) handles my domain's mail. (not an external ISP account)
Does that make a difference to anyones suggestions?
David...

David Duffy        Audio Visual Devices P/L
U8, 9-11 Trade St, Cleveland 4163 Australia
Ph: +61 7 38210362   Fax: +61 7 38210281
New Web: www.audiovisualdevices.com.au