[H-GEN] Email filtering

David Duffy david at audiovisualdevices.com.au
Wed Sep 24 05:41:52 EDT 2003

Sandra Milne wrote:

> David Duffy wrote:
>
>> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug
>> and     ]
>> [ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses will
>> vanish. ]
>>
>> G'day,
>> With the current wave of virus emails (Microsoft lookalikes),
>> what's the best way to automatically reject/clobber them?
>> I guess I could use a procmail rule (tried but failed!) but I'd
>> rather reject them in the first place instead of accepting them
>> only to drop them later on in the chain. That raises another
>> question; if I reject an email using the access file, how much
>> of that email makes it onto my system? Just the header?
>
> Personally I don't think you should reject them. The number of
> 'returned' rejected emails that still had the virus attached to them
> that I personally have received is ludicrous. If you're going to
> reject or return them, at least strip the virus.
>
> Remember that most of these virus/worm/trojan emails don't actually
> come from the sender in the "From" address line so you'll be foisting
> these emails onto innocent parties.

Hi Sandra,
Sorry, what I meant to say was drop them. (not reject)
Does dropping them via the access file actually mean that
you don't download the whole email? (reducing traffic)
It bugs me that I'm paying to collect all of those 150Kb
emails that I know are pure crap!
David...

David Duffy        Audio Visual Devices P/L
U8, 9-11 Trade St, Cleveland 4163 Australia
Ph: +61 7 38210362   Fax: +61 7 38210281
New Web: www.audiovisualdevices.com.au